4179 Piedmont Ave 3rd Floor Oakland, CA 94611
Casey Kaufman has represented injured people for over 15 years. He specializes in matters against insurance companies, government entities, large corporate interests, and product/medical device/pharmaceutical manufacturers.
Casey graduated from UC Berkeley with a degree in Environmental Sciences. While at the University of San Francisco School of Law he was a published member of the USF Law Review.
Casey is licensed to practice law in California, Arizona, Nevada, Washington, and the District of Columbia. He has experience across a wide variety of personal injury matters and has successfully represented clients who have suffered life-changing injuries or have lost a loved one.
For his entire career, Casey has been very active in local and state-wide legal associations that focus on access to justice and consumer safety issues. Casey was the chair of the Consumer Attorneys of California New Lawyers Division and has been a member of the CAOC Board of Governors for over 10 years. He is also currently on the Board of Directors for the Alameda-Contra Costa County Trial Lawyers’ Association.
Casey has lived in the Bay Area for over 25 years, currently in Alameda with his wife and three children.
- Full Investigation of the Accident Scene Can Reveal Other Responsible Parties, Advocate, May 2017
- The Person Most Qualified Deposition – Tools and Tips, CAOC Forum, March/April 2016
- Fully Investigating the Car vs. Pedestrian Incident, Plaintiff Magazine, July 2015
- The Public Entity Case for the Pedestrian and Bicyclist, Plaintiff Magazine, July 2014
- Bauman, the Supreme Court, and the Gutting of General Jurisdiction, The Trial Lawyer, Spring 2014
- Order of Putting on your Witnesses, CAOC Forum, November/December 2012
- The Quest for Diversity in the Plaintiffs’ Bar: Statistics and Reflections, The Trial Lawyer, Spring 2011
- Whither San Mateo County: No Longer Where Plaintiffs Fear to File?, The Trial Lawyer, Fall 2010
- Do Auto Products Liability Claims Have Life After Bankruptcy?, The Trial Lawyer, Fall 2009
- Enforcing Judgments Against Local Public Entities In California, The Trial Lawyer, Summer 2009
- Effective Use of the PMK Deposition, The Trial Lawyer, Summer, 2008
- Design Immunity: Discovery to Defeat Summary Judgment, CAOC Forum, Volume 38, Number 5, September/October 2008
- Oregon v. Ashcroft: The Attorney General’s Attempt to Override State Controlled Medical Practice, 37 U.S.F. L.Rev., Summer 2003 (cited at 7 Witkin, Summary 10th (2005) Constitutional Law, 572)
Areas of Practice
- Personal Injury and Wrongful Death
- Dangerous Condition of Public Property
- Product Liability
- Premises Liability
- Mass Torts
- Elder Abuse
- Consumer Protection
- Civil Litigation and Trials
- California 2004
- Nevada 2006
- Arizona 2007
- District of Columbia 2007
- Washington 2010
- U.S. District Court Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court Central District of California
- U.S. District Court District of Arizona
- University of San Francisco School of Law, San Francisco, California
- J.D. – 2004
- Law Review
- University of California, Berkeley, California
- B.A. – 1999
- Major: Environmental Sciences
Honors and Awards
- 2021 Best Lawyers “Lawyer of the Year” for Personal Injury Litigation – Oakland: This award signifies the highest overall peer-feedback for one lawyer per specialty and location.
- Best Lawyers Every Year Since 2014: For personal injury litigation. Nominated lawyers are voted on by their peers for inclusion in this elite group.
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent: Highest Level of Professional Excellence and Ethical Standing
- SuperLawyers 2016-2020: Given to 5% of attorneys through peer evaluation.
- Super Lawyers Rising Stars 2009-2015: Given to 2.5% of lawyers under 40 years of age.
- The National Trial Lawyers – Top 100 Trial Lawyers
- CAOC Presidential Award of Merit 2011; 2012
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Consumer Attorneys of California: Board of Governors since 2008
- Consumer Attorneys of California: Past Chair New Lawyers Division
- Alameda-Contra Costa Trial Lawyers Association: Board of Directors
- San Francisco Trial Lawyers Association: Member
- American Association for Justice: Member
- Attorneys Information Exchange Group: Member
Past Employment Positions
- The Brandi Law Firm – Attorney
- Law Offices of Stephan C. Volker – Clerk
- Alameda County District Attorney Environmental and Consumer Protection Division – Clerk
- Carroll, Burdick & McDonough – Paralegal