Todd A. Walburginfo@cutterlaw.com
Todd Walburg is a trial attorney who has been handling personal injury, product liability and mass tort cases for almost two decades. Before practicing law, Todd worked for a respected Oakland trial law firm for over ten years, where he started out making photocopies and working with clients. Todd is currently the Partner in charge of Cutter Law, P.C.’s Oakland office.
Prior to joining Cutter Law, P.C., Todd was a Partner at the nationally-ranked plaintiffs’ law firm of Lieff Cabraser Heimann & Bernstein, LLP, where he was the Chair of the firm’s Auto and Transportation Cases Practice Group. By joining Cutter Law, Todd has decided to devote his practice to representing individuals and to focus on helping those who have been seriously injured, or who have lost a loved one, as a result of corporate misconduct or individual negligence.
Todd meets with local clients at our Oakland, California office but also handles cases nationwide. He represents clients in a wide variety of product liability cases (everything from exploding e-cigarettes and stoves to unsafe vehicles), as well as in many other types of negligence, personal injury, and wrongful death cases.
Todd has significant experience handling auto defect cases, including seat belt, airbag and tire failures, fuel system fires, vehicle rollovers, software and hardware defects, sudden acceleration, transmission and engine defects, carbon monoxide poisoning, and vehicle crashworthiness issues.
Todd also has a great interest in environmental and toxic tort cases, including those involving pesticide and herbicide exposure.
In all of his cases, Todd is motivated by the unfairness of powerful corporations and insurance companies that take advantage of regular people. For example, Todd took on one of the worst offenders – Big Tobacco – in long and protracted litigation that included five jury trials in Florida federal courts.
Todd is also an active member of the San Francisco Bay Area legal community. He has served on the San Francisco Trial Lawyers Association Board of Directors since 2013 and has been a member of the Alameda-Contra Costa Trial Lawyers Association Board of Governors since 2003. In 1998, he won the national Leesfield/Association of Trial Lawyers of America scholarship. He has also volunteered for the Bar Association of San Francisco’s Eviction Defense Project since 2012.
Todd was named to Super Lawyers in Northern California from 2014 to 2018. He was also named to the Rising Stars list for Northern California from 2010 to 2013.
Todd lives in Moraga, California with his wife, son and two daughters.
Throughout his career, attorney Todd Walburg has participated in numerous high-profile cases involving:
- Toyota sudden unintended acceleration
- Volkswagen diesel emissions fraud
- Takata exploding airbags
- General Motors faulty ignition systems
- Yamaha Rhino ATV rollovers
- Ford SUV rollovers
- Tobacco injuries and fatalities caused by youth addiction to cigarettes
- Defective medical devices and pharmaceutical drugs:
- Drug cases involving Fen-Phen, Vioxx, Baycol, and Fosamax
- Guidant defibrillators and pacemakers
- Medtronic heart leads
- Ortho-McNeill contraceptive patches
Todd also played an important role in the University of Phoenix whistleblower case, which was resolved for $78.5 million.
Publications and Presentations
Todd is the author of “Powerful Mediation Briefs” in The Verdict (ACCTLA 2006). He was also the keynote speaker in presentations titled: “Products Liability Strategies Before Trial” (SFTLA 2008); “Toyota Unintended Acceleration Litigation” (CAOC Annual Convention 2011); “Burn Injury Cases” (SFTLA/CAOC 2012); “Cutting Edge Damages” (SFTLA/CAOC 2013); “Comparing and Contrasting the GM Litigation and the Toyota Litigation” (AAJ 2014); “Life Care Planning for Serious Injury Cases” (SFTLA 2015); “Product Liability in the Electronic Age-Unintended Acceleration” (SFTLA 2015); “Working Together-Individual Case and Class Action Coordination” (CAOC 2015); “The Secrets of Visual Storytelling” (SFTLA 2015); “Theming with Case Framing” (SFTLA 2016); “Burn Injuries” (WTLA 2016); E-Cigarette Litigation-A New Frontier (AAJ Annual Convention 2016); Recreational Recoveries-Defective Products (AAJ Annual Convention 2016); “Life Care Planning Webinar” (CAOC 2016); and “The Silent Carbon Monoxide Killer: Keyless Fob Systems” (2016)
Areas of Practice
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit
- U.S. District Court Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court Central District of California
- U.S. District Court Southern District of California
- University of San Francisco School of Law, San Francisco, California
- J.D. – 1999
- University of California, Los Angeles, California
- B.A. – 1995
- Major: Political Science/Public Law
Honors and Awards
- Winner of the Leesfield/Association of Trial Lawyers of America Scholarship
- Rising Star for Northern California for 2010 through 2013
- Super Lawyer for Northern California for 2014 through 2016
- Top 100 Trial Lawyers for 2015 by The National Trial Lawyers
- Nation’s Top One Percent – National Association of Distinguished Counsel for 2015
- Best Attorney – Rue Ratings’ Best Attorneys of America for 2016
- Appointed to the Plaintiff Steering Committee of the Toyota Unintended Acceleration JCCP coordinated litigation by the Presiding Judge of the Los Angeles Superior Court
- Super Lawyers, 2014 – 2018
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Alameda-Contra Costa Trial Lawyers Association, Board of Governors (appointed position): 2003 through 2005 and 2012 through present
- American Association for Justice (Attorneys Information Exchange Group; Motor Vehicle Collision, Highway and Premises Liability Section; Products Liability Section; Section on Toxic, Environmental, and Pharmaceutical Torts)
- San Francisco Trial Lawyers Association, Board of Directors (elected position): 2013 through present; Education Committee and Experts Committee (appointed positions): 2005 through present
- Consumer Attorneys of California, Member, 1998 – Present
- AAJ, formerly Association of Trial Lawyers of America, Member, 1997 – Present
- AIEG, Member
- The Melvin M. Belli Society, Fellow (nominated position), 2014 – Present
- Consumer Attorneys Association of Los Angeles, Member
- Western Trial Lawyers Association, Member
- Public Justice, Member
Past Employment Positions
- Lieff Cabraser Heimann & Bernstein, LLP
- Emison Hullverson Bonagofsky, LLP
- Bennett, Johnson & Galler
Pro Bono Activities
- Volunteer trial attorney for the Bar Association of San Francisco’s Eviction Defense Project